Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Place You've Read About

I could probably blog for days about the experiences I have had moving.  It's been an experience like no other.  And that phrase you've heard about "if it could go wrong, it did", well, yeah, that's pretty much true. We got here on Sunday evening.  It was pouring rain.  All the neighbors managed to find an excuse to come out and gawk at us poor fools unpacking a 26' Uhaul in the rain.  Not a one came over to help.  Southern hospitality??  On day three the sewer backed up because no one had lived in this house for 5 months, and things dry up and stop up after a while.  The inner compartments of the refrigerator are broken.  And the vent on the microwave.  And the garbage disposal was broken.  And although I brought my own washer and dryer, they're not hooked up yet.  Washer and dryer don't work much better than the rest.  But I do like it here, really.

The red tape here is so intricate.  When it comes to establishing yourself, you begin to wonder what comes first.  You can't get a driver's license with less than four forms of identification: something that proves residency, previous license, SS card, birth certificate, marriage certificate (if your name is different than on birth certificate).  Proofs of residency are very specific, but if I have a weapons permit I can get a license.  Handy if I am going to take it on the road Bonnie and Clyde style.  You have to have a driver's license to register and title your car, but the license application wants to know if you have any untitled autos at your residence.  Both titles are in Kenny's name. I can't enroll my kids in school without 6 pieces of identification.  Yesterday, the store where I paid CASH for a sofa called.  They wanted to confirm delivery.  They also asked if I had closed on my house or signed a lease yet before they delivered.  I hope so, since I've lived here a week.  All the same, I paid CASH!  If I want you to leave the sofa on the porch, what do you care, lady?  But I do like it here, really.

Maybe people who move to Ohio from other states have to go through all this stuff?

This is the kind of place you read about.  A small southern town.  The police department actually sets up a cruiser at the edge of town with a dummy in it all day to deter speeders.  I am not kidding.  A lot of folks drive through here to get to the beach.  It's not Mayberry, mind you.  It has modern conveniences and hip little establishments.  It's artsy and horsey.  The Carolina Cup takes place here.  There are antebellum homes and new subdivisions.  If you read southern chick fiction, you will read about a place like this.  And you might not think it truly exists.  Oh, but it surely does.  You won't just run across it, and you have to go looking for it.  It is the kind of place where I always wanted to lead a peaceful life.  And it will be peaceful, as soon as I can acclimate.  I do like it here, really, ya'll.

3 comments:

  1. Mary, I want to say from one southern girl to another, that ya'll seem to having some difficulties settling into your new home. Just sayin.....on the lighter side, however, you are back in a southern state with a wonderful family. Maybe God just wants to see if you REALLY love where you are and he knows that all will eventually get fixed, replaced, or maybe removed permanently....but, it will get better. On a more serious side, I enjoy reading your blog and about your life's journey. I look forward to reading about you and your family's new season that you are about to begin. Bob and I will keep you, Kenny, and your family in our prayers that things begin settling down and you can begin to relax and enjoy your new roots....

    ReplyDelete

  2. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits of this information.
    thesis example
    thesis examples
    thesis creator
    thesis maker
    Acdemic Assignment Help
    Assignment help service
    Cheap Assignment writing service
    Best Assignment help service
    How to Start A Paper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fenders are bumpers designed to absorb the kinetic energy of a vessel berthing against a jetty, quay or another vessel. Source: Shipfever.com

    ReplyDelete